Friday, July 10, 2009

Performers flying under the radar: Angela Hewitt and Tish Hinojosa

I love music, and am always eager to put in a plug for those artists whose work I enjoy, but who are not likely to be on the Tonight Show in the near future (hee hee).

These two women are wonderful talents with widely different sounds and subject material.




Angela Hewitt is a Canadian pianist, most of whose work I know is Baroque. I'm awating 2 CDs of Bach concertos, and if they are anything like the unaccompained pieces, they will be super. So far, I have JS Bach, Couperin, Rameau, and Chabrier. Yes, Chabrier is not Baroque. I ordered it without checking, but serendipity struck. It's beautiful.
Update: The Bach Concertos have arrived, and are as wonderful as I hoped they would be.





Tish Hinojosa (he-no-HO-suh) sings Tex-Mex music with themes of homeland, home life,and the Southwest. I'm sure the first time I heard her was on Austin City Limits. She sings just about evenly between Spanish and English, with a crystalline voice. My two favorite CDs are Homeland and A Heart Wide Open. I have on order Our Little Planet, and will let you know about it soon. I have seen Tish in concert, and afterwards she came out into the lobby and talked and signed autographs. Of course, the full house was about 200 of us.

Update: I have listened to Our Little Planet. It is more countryish (steel guitar, etc) and to me not as personal as the previous CDs. It will be very good for my morning walks.

Kenabeck

1 comment:

Patricia Rockwell said...

Nicely crafted post, little bro.